Submit a Story

Submit details for a Gulf Atlantic Newsmakers story via eMail to: gfanewsmakers@usps.gov

eMail weather and road hazard information to: gfaemergency@usps.gov

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Georgia Postmaster hangs on as last Presidential appointee


Harrison GA Postmaster Roselyn Tyson is about to close the door for the last time after 54 years of Postal service.

It's a historical moment as she is the last remaining Postmaster in Georgia who was a presidential appointee (by President Lyndon Johnson in December of 1963.)

"In the last few years as I thought about retiring, I was aware that only a few appointees were left in the state so I thought it was possible I might become the last."

And how will it feel to retire after all those years?  "I will finally be able to plan my day without first thinking about my office," she said.

But customers are what Roselyn will miss the most from her job.  


"I remember helping two ladies with some paperwork and the subject of retirement came up.  I asked them what will they do about filling out some forms when I retire, and they said would follow me to my house (which is only 4/10ths of mile from the Post Office)."

The close commute to her job was a factor after finishing her Bachelor of Arts from Mercer University when she considered becoming a teacher…even after getting a call from a local school superintendent to teach biology and math.

"The commute to the school while not too far was certainly not as convenient as the local Post Office," Roselyn said.

While she started as a PTF in 1957, she still proudly displays her Postmaster commission on the wall at the Harrison Post Office.

The most significant change to her Post Office she recalls is when they brought computers into her office.

"Several other Postmasters in that computer class were discouraged as was I, but we decided we weren't going to get whipped by some machine."

Those computers actually made reconciliation each day much easier, according to Roselyn.

Her advice to other employees who still haven't reached the time for retirement.

"You need patience, people skills and determination because changes like in recent years at the Postal Service seem daunting, but if you work through them, they aren't so bad."

We wish Roselyn the best as she finds new opportunities in retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment