Submit a Story

Submit details for a Gulf Atlantic Newsmakers story via eMail to: gfanewsmakers@usps.gov

eMail weather and road hazard information to: gfaemergency@usps.gov

Friday, April 19, 2013

Dublin GA Postmaster Myers delivers a first in history


(Published in the Dublin GA Courier-Herald)
BY PAYTON TOWNS III

Valerie Myers didn't know about making history.

But after looking into it, she found that she was indeed the first Afircan American woman to serve as Postmaster at the Dublin Post Office.

"When I found out I was very excited," Myers said.  "I feel honored and privleged to be that.  I'm just glad to be recognized as that and hopefully I can prove to the community that I can be a good one."

"I want them to remember their first female Afircan American Postmaster to be fair and work well.  I want to get involved in the community and be really active here," she said.

Myers was appointed to this position on March 9 and had been on the job the last couple of weeks. She has a special connection to Dublin in that her parents grew up here.

"It has a special place in my heart because of that," said Myers, who grew up in Miami, FL.

"I started there and eventually worked my way from the bottom," Myers said.  "It's been a lot of hard work. I know about everything it takes to run the post office.  I think for a good leader to understand what it takes makes a difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment